18 May 2008

Goodbye Sony Vaio VGN-FS690, Hello XPS Dell M1330 gaming laptop

In other news, I sold my sony vaio laptop for $400 to a french woman and her son. I'm going to miss that thing. I still have my other sony vaio laptop which i use frequently for classes. It's a great machine to take notes, but I keep finding that I need something with more power to keep up with me and my desktop.... I decided to buy a sort of gaming laptop, a dell xps m1330. Beautiful machine! Weights around 4lbs with the battery, core 2 duo processor and a gaming video card nvidia 8400M GS! That means WOW and Team Fortress 2 portability. It has a pretty decent battery life of about 3.5 hours. 2 hours if you're watching a DVD. The extended can apparently give you 7 hours . It also have a webcam and microphone, so when my bro goes to Drexel, we can keep in contact. As well as my mom who has one on her laptop.

What I also like the most is that if later, I can upgrade the memory, the hard drive, the processor even! It's completely super easy even a caveman could do it. No longer will I have to pry open an entire laptop to get to the components. There's a manual which tells you how to replace almost every single component in the laptop. It's also crazy thin! You can bet that I'll be scouring for upgradeable items online... Who knew that something my brother wanted to get , I ended up trading a sony vaio for...

3 comments:

Colin said...

Awesome! What do you have in it? I was thinking about maybe investing in an M1530 to replace my clunker of a desktop. Do you think the LED LCD screen is worth an upgrade?

heyroth said...

* Intel Core 2 Duo (2MB cache/1.5GHz/667Mhz FSB)
* 120 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
* 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
* 8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
* 13.3 inch WXGA Standard Display
* Dell Travel Remote Control
* Intel Wireless Card 802.11b/g
* nVidia Graphics Card
* Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
* 65W AC Adapter
* 6 Cell Primary Battery
* Black Color
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
* Microsoft Works 8.5
* Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Reader
* Roxio Creator LE

heyroth said...

I kept the price low, and got the laptop for roughly 700 dollars. It's impossible to upgrade the video card, so I made sure i found the cheapest laptop i could find with an nvida card. Battery life doesn't matter too much to me, but gaming does. Plus, i'm not gaming when i'm in class, so my power consumption should be pretty decent. An M1530 is a good choice, and there's an option for a better video card 256 8600m GT. If you game, that would be a requirement to have.

The LED screen is a good choice, it makes whites brighter, shaves off .3 lbs, thinner and draws a little less energy. I'm all about the bare essentials for gaming.

Yeah i know i have a slow processor but, did you know i can upgrade it to a 2.0 gighz for only 200? still quite cost effective.